If you’re struggling with space, especially since many of us have now become home workers and are vying for corners where we can claim it as our “work area” or “home office” we’ve put together some handy tips to consider, when you may be thinking about Extending your house, or a Conversion.
A house extension means you are adding additional space to your property. For example, if you are considering extending your kitchen outwards by a few metres, you will also be decreasing the space in your garden area. Therefore, extensions are really only worth giving serious consideration to if you have additional space on your plot – whether it’s surrounding land, or a large garden. Furthermore, the amount of space you have available will really dictate the size of the extension. Of course this is also taking into account any planning permission required which we are able to discuss with you.
Advantages of extending your home
- • It adds space to your home
- • It improves functionality as you can design around your lifestyle
- • It increases the value of your home
- • Planning permission may be required -see planning website here for Extensions in Liverpool and Merseyside. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/
- • You need to have space already available in order to extend
- • Extending your property is normally the more expensive option
- • Building an extension can take longer than converting.
We love this extension with bi-folding doors leading to the garden. An extension like this can add so much natural light into a kitchen dining space, especially when topped with roof lights.
If you don’t have space around your home, conversions are another option. You can convert spaces you rarely use into functional rooms, helping your home feel more comfortable and spacious. For example, you can convert your garage into a snug room, games room or a dining room into a kitchen/diner. Your loft could be converted into a master bedroom with an ensuite if there is sufficient room. If you have a storeroom near your kitchen you could use it to extend the space you already have.
- • Doesn’t require any external space
- • You are optimizing the space you already have
- • There is no need for planning permission
- • Conversions are normally the cheaper option
- • Completion is faster than an extension
- • A conversion won’t change the appearance of your property unless you decide to give your property an external facelift!
- • A conversion may not add as much value to your home
- • The space you can add is restricted
A garage conversion in Liverpool L18 – customer was delighted with the result.
One of our projects converting a living room into a modern kitchen. No job is too big at Premier Building Solutions…Take a look at this before and after! We transformed this living room into a sleek, modern kitchen. We fully converted the space, fitted all kitchen units and island, complete with all wiring and plumbing, retiled and decorated it all!
Both extensions and conversions add space to your home, helping you achieve the additional room you’re wishing for. The key difference is that extensions require external space that not every property has. However, from our experience, conversions can be just as good, as well as being the cheaper option!
Need a home extension or conversion?
Premier Building Solutions offer professional building services across Liverpool and Merseyside. We have years of experience with building extensions and conversions, and can help you out with any questions you may have. If you’re considering which option is best for your home, please give us a call.
We are working normal business hours, and due to the Coronavirus are taking extra precautions when conducting surveys and carrying out building work in Liverpool. All of our staff are well protected, with masks, gloves and we are adhering to social distancing measure to ensure our staff and clients are safe.